One of my comfort food is noodles. Homemade, restaurant served or instant noodles. I even remember my officemates gave me a bunch of Chinese instant noodles of Christmas. Since we are current at the heart of Japan town in San Francisco, I am able to access wide variety of noodles, soba, somen, ramen, rice noodles,Chinese noodles and a lot more to discover.
This recipe uses somen noodles and shrimp stock
shrimp heads and skin (wash the heads gently, do not drain all the fats, they make all the flavor)
carrots (cut to pieces)
celery (cut to pieces)
onions (cut to pieces)
dried basil leaves
kombu (a type of dried kelp)
1 tease spoon of white miso paste (just to add more flavor)
scallops (gotten from shell)
shrimp (butterflied cut)
(may also use steamed green shells or manila clams)
salt and pepper
sliced chicken(no bones)
mirin (sweet sake)
To make the stock:
Combine all the stock ingredient in a stock pot and simmer for 1 hr in low heat until all the flavor of shrimps are out , especially from the heads. Add water if necessary to maintain the stock level desired. Pour the stock through a strainer and set the stock aside for the recipe.
1. In a separate pot, sautee garlic in olive oil or sesame oil in high heat.
2. When garlic is about to turn brown, add chicken and
3. When chicken turned pale, add scallops, shrimp fish sauce and pepper, then add sake, continue sauteing until
shrimp turn red.
4. Add the shrimp stock and somen noodles.
5. Simmer until the noodles is done, about 4 to 5 minutes.
6. Finally tastes with salt and pepper.
Serve hot and enjoy (see picture for serving suggestion, top the noodles with shrimp,scallops,kelp and chicken)