We’ve been to Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco for a number of times and we seldom missed the clam chowder since we had it. It is just so good. . . . We usually buy one cup for $5. Last Saturday, 01/22/2011, me and my daughter Louise went for a bay cruise, and went for a clam chowder for a quick snack. This time I looked at the ingredients closer and imagined how would I make it at home. I see tiny cubes of potatoes and it taste milky. I think I got it, so I tried it at home.
My family think it was goooooodddd! So maybe you want to try it at home too.
Mussels (Fresh and cleaned)
potatoes (cubed finer) if you want a little sweet taste, combine sweet potatoes and regular potatoes
milk (whole fresh milk or evaporated milk)
green onions, finely chopped
finely chopped garlic
onions, finely chopped
1. Sautee garlic and onions in olive oil.
2. Add mussels, salt and pepper. Continue the sautee until shells open.
3. Add white wine and continue sauteing.
4. Add enough water enough for the soup.
5. Add add potato and sweet potatoes together.
6. Add butter, half of the milk and simmer until potatoes are soft.
7. While simmering the cubed potatoes. . . .
on a separate small bowl, dissolve potato starch on tap water and set aside.
8. When the potatoes are soft and the soup turned starchy, add the last batch of milk and
the mozzarella cheese and simmer for 5 mins more. .
9. Add Green onions and finally add the dissolve potato starch.
10. Stir until soup thickens a little bit and final taste.
11. Serve hot with sourdough bread or French bread.
Tips: If you bought too much mussels and you can’t cook at one time, store it in a container with ice and refrigerate, do not freeze.
I have been watching Korean Drama lately. I like their theme, plot and good, clean love stories.
Now I just finished this series : Pasta.
The Chef and the Kitchen Assistant
It is a kind of in-focus to the Italian Kitchen. According to the writer, his research found out that the
Italian Kitchen is the most chaotic of all. Japanese kitchen is peaceful, Chinese Kitchen can cook some dish ahead, while Italian Kitchen only cooks their dishes, when orders are given. Now I am increasing my interest to pasta menu, especially the seafood ones. And probably making my own pasta? I have been wanting to buy pasta maker, hmmmmnnn. . . . maybe it will be the best time soon? Will post it here if I am able to make my first pasta noodle.
This series gave me a hint of how things are prepared in the kitchen and how chef should be in control of the whole situation in the kitchen.
I was also surprise of the ginseng pasta, I thought it was a real dish, but writer later said, it’s a made up one. 🙂 But perhaps will try it too. 🙂
Enjoy the movie time, I highly recommend this series. 🙂
The result of my organic food search has introduced me to this black chicken. It is pretty neat, tasty, healthy and nutty!
This is rare find in the US, but if you could visit the fresh wet market, you might have a luck.
Black chicken (Cut into parts )
Lemon Grass (sliced)
Green Onions (chopped)
Onions (sliced )
1. Sautee Garlic, onions, ginger, lemon grass in olive oil.
2. Add Chicken, salt and pepper, bay leaves, stir until chicken is coated with oil and a little bit brown.
3. Add water to simmer and add jalapeno pepper until chicken is tender,
4. Taste and add salt if needed, then add the green onions and dried basil.
Enjoy good tasting and healthy black chicken soup!
The sliced black chicken
Black Chicken Soup in lemon grass